Saturday 23 July 2022

Taittiriya Upanishad - 3

 Two Shanthi Mantras

Sikshavalli ends with a Shanthi Mantra as anuvaka 12. This Shanthi Mantra is the same as the one in anuvaka 1 with a difference in tense of verbs used in the latter part of the Shanthi Mantra. While in the earlier one it was a submission to the Supreme, here it is a statement of satisfaction at being blessed with His Grace. The Mantra is:

Om sam no mitrah sam varunah I sam no bhavatvaryama I

sam na indro brihaspatih I sam no vishnururukramah I

namo brahmane I namaste vayo I

tvameva pratyaksham brahmasi I

tvameva pratyaksham brahma vadisham I

ritamavadisham I satyamavadisham I

tanmamaviit I tadvaktaramaviit I

aaviinmam I aaviidvaktaram I

Om Shanthi, Shanthi, Shanthi II

May Mitra be propitious unto us. May Varuna be propitious unto us. May Aryaman be propitious unto us. May Indra and Brihaspati be propitious unto us. May Vishnu, of wide strides, be propitious unto us. Salutation to Brahman. Salutation to Thee, O Vayu! Thou indeed are the visible Brahman. Thee indeed I proclaimed as the visible Brahman. Thee indeed, O Vayu, I proclaimed as the Ritam. Thee indeed I proclaimed as the Satyam. That protected me! That protected the teacher! Protected me! Protected the teacher! Om. Peace! Peace! Peace!

       The second chapter is known by three names, Brahmavalli, Anandavalli and Brahmandavalli.  The chapter begins with the word Brahma and so is called Brahmavalli.  A beautiful analysis of Ananda, Ananda mimamsa, is given in the chapter and so is called Anandavalli. Since it starts with the word Brahma and contains the analysis of Ananda, it is called Brahmanandavalli, which name we will be using.  It starts with a Shanthi Mantra which is repeated in the beginning of the third chapter also.  This Shanthi Mantra is a popular Mantra and is recited in school prayers as well, as it prays for good rapport between the teacher and the student besides praying for the good health of both and for removal of obstacles to the successful pursuit of study of Upanishad.  Swami Paramarthananda calls it “a beautiful santipatah, specifically geared for a Vedāntic student”.  Because through this Shanthi Mantra the student is praying for the five factors that are very important for Vedantic study, namely self-effort, grasping and retention power, healthy relationship with Guru, Jnanam and Jnanaphalam.  The Mantra is:

Om saha naavavatu I saha nau bhunaktu I saha veeryam karavaavahai I

tejaswi naavadheetamastu maa vidvishaavahai I Om Shanthi, Shanthi, Shanthi II

May He protect us both (teacher and the taught)! May He cause us both to enjoy the bliss of Mukti! May we both exert to discover the true meaning of the sacred scriptures! May our studies be fruitful! May we never quarrel with each other! Om peace, peace, peace!

            The meaning of the different segments of the Mantra are as follows:

Om stands for Brahman

saha naavavatu - May the Supreme protect us both the teacher and taught.

saha nau bhunaktu -  May He bless us both to enjoy the fruits of this knowledge.

 saha veeryam karavaavahai - May we both put forth efforts together to find out the true meaning of the Scriptures.

tejaswi naavadheetam-astu - May our studies be fruitful, i.e. it should be available when needed.

maa vidvishaavahai - May we not misunderstand each other as persons and as communication wise.

Om shanti, shanti, shanti - Here Om is the sound representation of Brahmanshanti stands for the peace that comes from the removal of obstacles to the successful pursuit of study of Upanishad.  The word shanti is repeated thrice as the obstacles are of three-fold nature. They are:

  1. Adhyathmikam – Obstacles arising from within oneself like one’s personal ill-health, negative mood etc.  i.e. obstacles arising from oneself.
  2. Aadhi bauthikam – Obstacles arising from other known sources or external situations like ill-health of a family member, noisy neighbourhood etc. i.e. obstacles arising from one’s environs.
  3. Aadhi daivikam – obstacles arising from unseen sources like floods, storm etc. obstacles arising from nature
---------------------------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment